Top

Pregnancy Test

October 27, 2008

iStock_000006931371XSmall

If you think you are pregnant, you want to get the correct answer quickly

What is a pregnancy test?

To determine if a women is pregnant she can use a home pregnancy test.  After purchasing  a pregnancy test all you have to do is follow the directions that’s on the box and it will explain how to take the test.  The test will look for chemical markers that’s associated with pregnancy.

The pregnancy test which can give the quickest result after fertilization is a rosette inhibition assay for early pregnancy factor (EPF). EPF can be detected in blood within 48 hours of fertilization.

When is the right time to take a pregnancy test?

If you find that your period is late this is the best time to take a pregnancy test.  Always read the directions on the pregnancy test box to see when the test may become effective.  The test are more accurate when you get close to your period and better yet once you have already missed your period.

How Accurate Are Pregnancy Tests?

Home pregnancy test are about 99% percent accurate.  The other 1% is often traced or errors in application or failure to follow instructions with care.  Another part of the 1% is testing to early like a few days after conception.  The best time is after you have missed your period.

When is the best time to take a pregnancy test?

The best time to take a pregnancy test to get the best sample is the first morning urine.  Drinking a lot of water and having frequent urination can dilute your sample and is not recommended.

Can anything interfere with home pregnancy test results, like fertility drugs or medication?

Most over-the-counter medicines and prescription, including birth control pills and antibiotics, should not affect the results of a home pregnancy test. The only medications that can cause a false positive are those that have the pregnancy hormone. A false positive is when a test says you are pregnant when you’re not.

Are there any risks in taking a pregnancy test?

No, there are no risks in taking a pregnancy test.  The only risk you have is if you had an error or not doing the test correctly.

Can I get a negative test and still be pregnant?

The answer is yes.  It is not uncommon to get a positive test after women menstrual period.  But, on the other hand you can get a negative test in the early stages of pregnancy.

Can alcohol or drugs change the pregnancy test?

In most test results, alcohol and drugs do not affect the pregnancy test.

Getting the right information in your preconception planning about a reliable pregnancy test and how and when to use them is essential.

Pregnancy Test Articles

Bottom